Ever since the weather got a little warmer in April or so, we’ve walked along the canal that runs near our flat in Dudbridge. The canal was originally built in the 1700’s to bring coal and machinery into the area to run woollen mills, which became famous for their beautiful coloured woolen cloth–that military red-coats were made of, billiard tables and tennis balls. Who knew? After the railroad made the canals obsolete, they fell into disrepair, but in the last 50 years or so they’ve been in the process of a massive restoration. The result is a stretch of canal with a path alongside it that is a place of beauty and peace and quiet that takes us away from the noise and traffic of the city, where we have great missionary conversations and good exercise! Here are some photos we’ve gathered over the last few months.
Illustration of early canal days, horse towing a boat on the canal–we like to picture that now too!
Our canal’s official name
An old painting of Stroud, with the canals weaving through it.
Only minutes from our flat, Ebley Mill in the distance.
Boat docked on the side.
One of these days we’ll take a five pound ride on a Saturday afternoon.
Ebley wharf restored, now with parish office, recreation center, a cafe….
A barge resting between locks.
Cottage along the path
Raising a barge from one level to another at the locks.
That’s our bridge near our flat.
Double Locks Cottage from yesteryear.
Double Locks climbing two levels
Feast for the eyes!
We’ve been watching our nesting swans for weeks and last weeks their two babes were born–see them in between.
Friday night date at the Ebley Wharf cafe, free ice cream cones in the shop behind him. 🙂